June 15, 2015
Father's Day is quickly approaching, and what better way to celebrate than with a home-cooked, festive dinner? You can add your own personal touch while avoiding the hectic, crowded restaurants on this busy holiday. And Dad will surely appreciate the effort!
This isn't just any old dinner. It should be something special, so it helps if it's reminiscent of a theme. Because it's summer, why not go with a barbecue and beer-filled meal? Below we've put together a guide with our favorite recipes and decor ideas inspired by dads.
On the menu ...
SIDEWALKER - recipe via Bon Appetit
- 1 1/4 cups applejack
- 1 1/4 cups fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup (preferably Grade B)
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups chilled Hefeweizen beer
- 3/4 cup chilled club soda
- 8 lemon wedges
Stir first 4 ingredients in a large pitcher. Add 1 cup ice. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours. Gently stir in beer and club soda. Fill 12-oz. highball glasses with ice and divide cocktail among glasses. Garnish with lemon wedges and serve.
BLACK VELVET - recipe via Epicurious
Recipe for 1 drink.
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) chilled Champagne or prosecco
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) chilled Guinness Extra Stout
Pour the Champagne into a flute or other tall glass. Pour the Guinness on top and serve.
SPICY MICHELADA - recipe via Guy Fieri, FoodNetwork.com
Recipe for 1 drink.
- Kosher salt, for rimming the glass
- Mexican fruit seasoning powder, such as Tajin, for rimming the glass
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash liquid seasoning, such as Maggi, optional
- 1/2 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Valentina
- 1 to 2 turns fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 Mexican beer, ice cold, such as Tecate or Negro Modello
Combine equal parts of the kosher salt and Mexican seasoning powder mix on a flat plate. Rim the edge of the glass with a little bit of the lime juice, and then dip in the seasoning to coat the edge of the glass. Combine the remaining lime juice, Worcestershire, liquid seasoning if using, hot sauce and black pepper in a tall glass. Stir, top off with the ice cold Mexican beer and serve.
And now for the food, here are a couple recipes we have our eyes on:
GRILLED ASPARAGUS WITH MANCHEGO - recipe via Real Simple
Hands-on time: 15 minutes / Total time: 15 minutes
- 2 bunches asparagus (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 ounces manchego, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (preferably smoked; also called pimentón)
Heat grill to medium-high. In a large bowl, toss the asparagus with the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Grill, turning occasionally, until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with the manchego and paprika.
GRILLED SIRLOIN STEAK WITH TOPPINGS BAR - recipe via Martha Stewart
Hands-on time: 25 minutes / Total time: 25 minutes
- Vegetable oil, for grates
- 2 sirloin steaks (each about 2 pounds and 1 inch thick)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- Sweet-Onion Relish
- Spicy Green Sauce
- Tomato-Ginger Chutney
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring, until onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add tomatoes, vinegar, brown sugar, and raisins. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and jamlike, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool completely.
You can set up a buffet table so it feels like a special event. This will also give you the perfect opportunity to decorate! Hang a "Happy Father's Day" banner, and scatter decorative trinkets across the table featuring his favorite things. Using Dad's favorite colors, color coordinate a tablecloth, napkins and more with your banner and other decor. Display old family photographs that are sure to make him smile!
If you need help finding some themed decor, there are lots of online resources with free Father's Day printables, which you can use for making your banner, Father's Day beer labels, cards, flags and more (we've included some links to resources below). You don't have to go over the top — just pick a few items you'd like to focus on. You can do all this while keeping your decor tasteful and simple.
Happy Father's Day, from our home to yours!
Comments will be approved before showing up.