Trends We Love: Coastal May 18 2015, 0 Comments
One of my favorite things to do in the summer is go to the beach — and I am sure I am not alone in this. Summertime means beach days in all their glory with blazing sunshine, warm sand, refreshing salty water and lazy nights.
I vacationed down to the Outer Banks in North Carolina one summer with my family and we all stayed in this great big house right on the beach, only separated from the sand by some shrubs and a small wooden foot path. Every day I woke up to the sound of waves and lazily made my way down to the beach to spend the day.
The house was a grand! Large and airy with huge windows, it captured the beauty of the shore outside and brought it indoors. Fish netting hung over tables and rope lined the moldings. White washed shells and gold nautical items decorated shelves. It was a lovely place to retire to after a long day in the sun.
Leaving was hard. I still dream about barbecues on the porch facing the sea and picturesque view of the beach from my window. But, while my vacation house was a picture-perfect getaway, that beach-y feeling doesn't have to stop there!
Coastal decor is a classic way to decorate your home, whether it is throughout the house, in a carefully stylized bathroom or with subtle details in a room. It can serve well as a minimalist theme to make you feel right back at the beach all year round.
- If color-coordinated correctly, patterned pillows, such as a hatch cross and a chevron, can work exceptionally well together.
- Simple patterns or bold, solid colors would make great backgrounds to the vibrant designs on Laural pillows, such as the classic red, white and blue Nautical Pillow Collection above.
- Layering them shows depth and offers more comfort.
- Shop the look: The Lighthouse Dream; Two Boats; Nautical V; Nautical IV; Nautical VI
- Do you want to be energized first thing in the morning with bright colors and bold patterns? Opt for nautical stripes paired with bright coral accents. It's time to get pumped for the day!
- Maybe you prefer a gentler morning wakeup. Go with soft blue and green pastels, and decorate with flowers and seashells. Keep to a minimalist approach so you can start your day uncluttered and free of stress.
- Shop the look: Dream Beach Shells; Chamomile Spa; Coral Beauty Light I; Coral Beauty Light II
Whatever you do, be true to yourself! You have your own unique vision for your coastal décor, so get inspired and go for it!